Did you know that July is National Blueberry Month? Blueberries are available year-round, but the spring and summer months are peak season, so it’s a great time to consider the benefits of this tiny but mighty super fruit!
Check out some of the proven health benefits of blueberries:
1. Incredible source of nutrients: Blueberries contain many of the key nutrients that keep our bodies in top condition. In one cup of blueberries, your body will take in about 80 calories and the following essential nutrients:
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin C
2. Boosts skin health: Blueberries contain Vitamin C which helps improve how collagen—the main support system for skin health—works to prevent skin damage caused by sun exposure and other environmental factors.
3. Protects against heart disease: The nutritional makeup of blueberries supports good heart health. While fiber, potassium, folate, and Vitamin C are all beneficial, folate specifically works to prevent buildup in our blood vessels that can cause heart problems.
4. Aids in lowering blood pressure: Studies show that diets that contain potassium also tend to have reduced blood pressure. It is an additional bonus that blueberries are naturally sodium free! Sustaining a diet with low sodium and sugar levels are necessary to keep blood pressure within healthy levels.
5. Improves mental health: Blueberries have been shown to slow cognitive decline, improve short-term memory and motor coordination.
Blueberries are a healthy and stress-free superfood! If you haven’t already, try incorporating them into your diet this week. Just a few of them goes a long way!